When you visit a public place, you may not realize you can sustain a serious injury. However, accidents can happen anywhere and at any time as a result of negligence. If you have been injured in an accident while visiting a public place, you may be eligible for compensation. If a property owner fails to maintain safe premises and exercise reasonable care to prevent serious injury to visitors, they can be held liable for any damages that occur as a result of their negligence. If you decide to take legal action against a negligent party, it is important to have the right legal representation. Please continue reading and contact a seasoned Corpus Christi, Texas Slip & Fall Lawyer who can help you understand your legal options.
What steps should I take after sustaining an injury in a public place?
- Seek immediate medical attention. If you have sustained an injury while visiting a public place, it is imperative to call 911. Even if your injuries seem minor, you must have them examined and treated by a medical professional. Some injuries are not visible or have delayed effects, all of which, left untreated, can turn deadly. In addition, it is important to keep track of all pertinent medical records as they can corroborate the extent and severity of your injuries.
- Notify the appropriate parties. Do not leave the scene of the accident before notifying the appropriate parties. It is important to alert the property owner of the incident to ensure they take the proper measures to remedy the hazardous conditions to prevent further accidents and injuries.
- File a police report. Filing a police report will ensure the accident is recorded and documented. This can help establish the origin of the injury and account for the time, date, and other valuable information about the accident.
- Gather evidence at the scene. After seeking medical treatment, if you are able, capture pictures and video footage of the scene of the accident. If a property owner failed to display the proper warning signs indicating a hazardous area on the premises, document it. This step will help you prove the property owner’s negligence directly led to your injuries and damages.
- Collect witnesses’ information. If anyone witnesses the events of the incident, it is critical to obtain their contact information. Witness statements can help corroborate your claim. In addition, often, victims don’t remember every detail of an accident because they were overwhelmed by the traumatic experience. However, witnesses can recall details of the incident that you may not recall.
- Retain the legal services of a skilled Corpus Christi, Texas slip and fall lawyer. A qualified lawyer will help you investigate the circumstances of the accident as well as help you gather valuable information to support your claim. Having the right legal representation can make all the difference in whether you can recover monetary compensation for your damages.
In the unfortunate event that you have been injured while visiting a public place, please don’t hesitate to speak with one of our adept and determined team members. Our firm is committed to helping our clients get the justice they deserve.