When you slip and fall due to dangerous conditions on someone else’s property, you should be able to sue them. Does that apply when you get hurt on government property though? It does, but the process of recovering damages can just be a bit more complicated. You may want the assistance of a Corpus Christi, Texas slip & fall lawyer from our firm.

What Kinds of Injuries Are Common in a Slip and Fall Accident?

A slip and fall can cause all sorts of injuries, many of them serious. Some injuries can even affect someone’s mobility and ability to get back to their normal lives and routines. Injuries we often see in these kinds of accidents include:

  • Bruises and cuts
  • Broken or fractured bones
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Back and spinal cord injuries
  • Hand and wrist injuries

Some of these injuries could take a long time to recover from, which means that medical expenses could begin to pile up. If you have to miss work while you focus on your recovery, those lost wages can mean an even tighter economic squeeze on your household.

Can I Sue If I Fall on Government Property?

This is why you should be able to sue for damages if someone else’s negligence caused your injuries. This applies to accidents that happen on government property too. You cannot just sue directly though. Instead, you must first file a “notice of claim” with the state, city, or municipality that you plan to sue. You give the government details about what happened and then you can sue for damages.

What Are the Deadlines for Suing the Government?

The main thing you need to remember is that there is a deadline for filing your notice of claim. In most areas of Texas, you have just 180 days to contact the government. Some local governments have even shorter deadlines though. This means that you need to act quickly if you want to recover damages after getting hurt on government property.

Are There Limits on Damages When I Sue For a Fall on Government Property?

There are also stricter limits on how much compensation can be paid out in a case like this. The state government is often limited to paying out $250,000 per person and $500,000 per occurrence when someone is injured or passes away on their property. Some local governments might have smaller caps.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

A lawyer can help you build a case and make sure that you do not miss any important deadlines. This is especially important in cases where the government is involved. Let us focus on fighting for fair compensation while you focus on your recovery and getting back to life as usual.

Schedule Your Free Consultation

When you are ready to learn more about your legal options, contact Sahadi Legal Group. We can schedule a free consultation and tell you more about the potential value of your case and what must be done to secure compensation. Reach out to our firm today.