When you sue for damages in a personal injury case, some parts of your compensation seem easy enough to calculate. If you had medical expenses, you can just present your medical bills to show how much an insurance company should pay you. But how would you calculate something like pain and suffering? Insurance companies actually do have ways to do that. If you’re ready to fight for the compensation that you deserve, a Corpus Christi, Texas slip & fall lawyer from our firm is ready to assist you.

Can I Sue for Pain and Suffering in Texas?

You can sue for pain and suffering in Texas, but that usually requires you to make a third-party injury claim. You would have to go after someone else’s insurance policy and make that insurer pay out. So after a car accident you can collect some money for medical expenses from your own insurer and then sue another driver for pain and suffering. Or you can sue someone for a slip and fall that happened at their business, and their insurance company would be the one that pays you.

How Does an Insurer Calculate Pain and Suffering?

An insurance company can make a number of considerations before deciding on how much pain and suffering an accident victim has experienced. They will look at how severe your injuries are, what kinds of psychological trauma you experienced, and what your road to recovery looks like. Then they assign a number, a multiplier, to your case. They take this number, usually it’s between 1.5 and 5, and then they will multiply your medical expenses by it to find a suitable amount to pay out for pain and suffering.

So if you have medical bills totaling $3,000 and a short recovery, you might get a multiplier of 2 and $6,000 in compensation. This is in addition to any payouts for lost wages, property damages, and medical expenses.

How Long Do I Have to Sue?

You have two years to sue for compensation if you get injured in any kind of accident. This can seem like a long time, but you would be surprised at how quickly time can pass when you are recovering from injuries and trying to return to a normal life. We recommend hiring a lawyer who will help you file before the statute of limitations expires. They can also keep you aware of any other crucial deadlines or dates concerning your case.

Schedule a Free Consultation

If you were injured in any kind of accident, we want to help you. Contact Sahadi Legal Group and ask to schedule a free consultation. We can take a closer look at your case and tell you more about how an experienced personal injury attorney can help you fight for compensation.