Most of the time, a long holiday weekend means more car accidents. The Thanksgiving weekend is no different. If you are driving this weekend, you need to be extra careful on the road. If you do end up getting into an auto accident and you decide to pursue damages in a personal injury case, a Corpus Christi, Texas car accident lawyer from our firm may be able to help you.
Why Are Car Accidents So Common on Thanksgiving Weekend?
A few different elements can make the road a bit more dangerous than usual on Thanksgiving weekend. The biggest issues tend to be:
- The presence of more drivers on the road
- Fatigued drivers who are driving longer distances
- People rushing to their destination
- The consumption of alcohol at family events
- The presence of drivers who do not know the area
Any of these factors can make the road more dangerous. Put them all together and it’s no surprise that car accidents are more likely to occur on Thanksgiving weekend.
How Can I Stay Safer on the Road on Thanksgiving Weekend?
There are some things that you can do to stay safer on the road this weekend and during the holiday season as a whole. Get enough sleep and leave early for wherever you need to go. Do not rush to your destination. If you’re going to be the driver, staying away from alcohol is recommended. Even just having a drink or two earlier in the day can make you feel a bit groggy later on.
What Should I Do If I Get Into an Accident?
Whether you get into an accident with a drunk driver or someone who is distracted by a GPS, you need to do what you can to start building your own personal injury case. Do not admit to anything or apologize for the accident as if it were your fault, and definitely do not flee the scene. You need to:
- Pull over somewhere safe
- Call the police so that they can fill out a report
- Take pictures of the accident scene and the damage to the cars
- Exchange info with any other involved drivers
- Get medical care as soon as possible
If you have serious injuries and the bills are piling up, it’s time to consider suing for compensation.
How Can a Lawyer Help?
You are not required to hire a lawyer when pursuing compensation, but you can be sure that the insurance company is sure to have its own representation. A personal injury attorney can help you in many ways. They can:
- Help you file a case before the statute of limitations expires
- Remind you of important deadlines or court dates
- Fight for fair and reasonable compensation
- Handle communications on your behalf
- Prepare you to testify
- Defend you from accusations of fault
Contact Our Law Firm
If you are considering a personal injury suit, contact Sahadi Legal Group first. We can give you a chance to learn more about your legal options at a free consultation.