When you get hurt in a car accident, you can sue for compensation that will help you with your medical bills. That compensation can also help make up for property damage. If you need to replace your car or repair it, there are multiple ways to seek out funds that can pay for these expenses. A Corpus Christi, Texas car accident lawyer from our firm can help you with this.

What Kind of Insurance Coverage Can Help With Property Damage?

There are a few types of insurance that can help cover the costs of repairing or replacing a vehicle after an accident. If you have collision coverage, that can pay for your property damage. This is not a mandatory type of coverage though, so some drivers do not opt into it when buying car insurance.

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage can be used if your car was damaged in a hit-and-run. This coverage must be offered to all drivers, but declining it is an option in Texas.

Finally, there is liability coverage. This is mandatory, but it does not cover damage to your own vehicle. It covers damage to other vehicles. So the other driver’s liability coverage would pay for the repair or replacement of your car.

Can I Sue Over Property Damage or Do I Have to Use My Insurance?

If you believe that the other driver caused the accident, then suing over property damage might be your best option. If you can show that they were negligent and that their negligence caused the crash and the damage to your vehicle, that should be covered by the other driver’s liability coverage.

You can go through your own collision or UIM coverage if you have it, but you should know that there is often a deductible that must be met. This can result in you paying hundreds of dollars for repairs yourself. If someone else was negligent, going after their insurance policy is the smart move, even though it may take some time to fight for fair compensation.

What Should I Do After an Accident?

It’s important to take steps to protect yourself and start building a case right after the accident. We recommend:

  • Taking photos of the accident scene and damage to the vehicles
  • Getting contact info for any witnesses
  • Calling the police so that they can write a report

Then you should get your car to a repair shop so that estimates can be made. You can use those estimates as evidence when you sue for property damage. They are clear, understandable proof of how much the crash has cost you and how much the other driver’s insurer should be prepared to pay out.

Schedule Your Free Consultation

If you are ready to sue for property damage and other expenses stemming from a car accident, you don’t have to do it on your own. Contact Sahadi Legal Group and ask to schedule a free initial consultation with our team. We can tell you more about your legal options.